Saturday, October 16, 2010

Wednesday was another odd day. Had to take Puff up to the hospital for her post-op check up. All seems well with that, and the scars are healing well enough although she really should avoid walking into things and opening them up.
After that, it was off to Walmart with the Mother in Law.. I managed to lose her twice, but damned if she didn't keep finding me!! Then it was up to Winnipeg International to collect Puffs "pathologically terrified of flying" friend, Lisa, who is staying with us for six months..

So Long Haul is really looking appealing right now!!!

Anyway, I grabbed a couple hours kip then kicked off for Calgary with the gypsum reels I had loaded in Cayuga. I was on site for 0530 and the man told me the dock to back onto. No problem... except.... as I was backing up, I had to shunt past a dumpster (skip) and I heard a little protest from the steering pump. In front of me was a little trail of oil. Up with the hood and, sure enough, power steering oil was pouring out. Made a hell of a mess. Once empty, I drove straight to the Flying J. I did the important thing first, got my coffee and breakfast sandwich, then parked up.. You ought to try steering this the Pete with no PAS oil.. I had to keep rocking to steer, and getting it into a space was hard work.

Called it in to the shop and was given the number for the Peterbilt dealership and the KW dealership. Neither of them were able to even look at it till late in the day, so the internet was consulted and RPM were discovered.. Yep, no problem, bring it on in. Dropped the trailer and bobtailed the few miles up to Kleysen off 84th street.. Straight in the shop and they got on it right away.. great guys. They had to get a new pipe made up as it is a pressure fitting, so it took a few hours, but it was done and I was out of there by just after 2pm.

My reload was out of Standens. We do quite a few loads out of there and they are really good at getting it loaded just so. I came out of there thinking I was heavy, and I am, but not illegally so. there was 400lbs difference between drives and trailer axles and the full tanks of fuel made up more than that.

After loading, I met up with the world famous Jody Ruth and his charming young lady, even more famous Jo Hall, at the Blackfoot diner. Between you and me, I don't think Jo was impressed, and I had chosen it so carefully for the ambience!!!!

After that, I drove back to Swift Current where I failed and had to sleep. For the first time this year, I woke up cold and so I put the night heater going. Big mistake as then it got that hot that I overslept and woke up really groggy. Still, one quick stop in Moosejaw, the Shell, for coffee and straight back to the yard. Managed to fit all the lumber from my load of reels in the back seat, got a routine stop by the RCMP, managed to get fuel and get home in one piece.

Load is bound for Missouri, I think for Monday, but the Mighty Pete is due a service on Monday morning so the load is not going to be there..

No comments:

Post a Comment